Hello friends, today I am going to tell you about the third generation of computers, i.e. 3rd generation of computers.
The third generation of computers started in 1964. This generation provided I.C. (I.C.) to computers. I.C. That is, the Integrated Circuit was invented by Jack Kilby, an engineer at the Texas Instrument Company. ICL 2903, ICL 1900, UNIVAC 1108, and System 1360 were the main computers of this generation.
Third Generation Computer – 1965-1971
The third generation revolutionized computers when scientists invented a more robust electronic component Integrated Circuit combining hundreds of transistors!
In this generation, the computer’s primary memory pressure was reduced, and writing programs became easier. For this reason, it was used in small companies and government departments.
Third Generation Computers Images
Invention is Jack Kilby
Features of Third Generation Computers
- The beginning of the third generation of computers is believed to be 1964–1975.
- I.C. technology was used in third-generation computers. I.C. means that the integrated circuit is a tricky chip, which contains many transistors. I.C.’s invention is Jack Kilby
- In this generation CPU, Monitor, Keyboard, and Mouse started to be used.
- Third-Gen computers worked much faster than first-gen and second-gen computers.
- They were tiny in size, and they were very reliable.
- High-level languages such as Visual basic, c python, became familiar in the third generation.
- The use of multiprogramming started from the third generation itself.
- Speeds up to 100 nanoseconds were achieved with the technology used in the third generation. It used switching equipment from I.C.
- Switching systems like I.C., VLSI, LSI, and high-speed magnetic course use high-level language (C python) in the third generation. Success was achieved in building the application of a database management system using these languages.
- VLSI, ULSI reduced the size of the microprocessor, and microcomputer size also reduced.
VLSI = massive-scale integration
ULSI = Ultra large scale integration
Third Generation Computers Examples
Also, Read- What is Computer – Basic Information
Advantage of Third-Generation Computers
- I was used in place of transistors in these computers which were much more powerful than transistors!
- Due to the small size of the I.C., the scope of this generation of computers has also reduced.
- These computers’ weight also became very light, which could be easily moved from one place to another!
- These computers’ processing speed was high because the size of the electrical circuits in them was small!
- These computers were also worthless!
- The heat emission of these computers was very low, due to which they used to work for hours on installing air conditioners.
- The high-level language was used to work on these computers! The first high-level language was Fortran!
- One person could run these computers efficiently!
- Internal memory was also provided in these computers, which increased their storage capacity!
- The computers manufactured in this generation were mainly – PDP series computers and CDC-1700 etc.!