AC 2 Tier, often referred to as “Second AC” or “2AC,” is a class of travel in Indian Railways. It offers a higher level of comfort and privacy compared to the lower classes and is considered one of the upper classes of travel. Here are some key features of AC 2 Tier travel in Indian trains:
What is AC 2 Tier in Train
- Berths: AC 2 Tier coaches typically have berths (sleeping arrangements) arranged in two tiers, with four berths in each bay. In a bay, two berths are stacked on top of each other on one side, and two berths are arranged side by side on the opposite side of the aisle.
- Curtains: Each berth is provided with curtains that can be drawn to provide privacy.
- Bedding: Bedding, including blankets, pillows, and bedsheets, is provided for passengers traveling in AC 2 Tier.
- Air Conditioning: AC 2 Tier coaches are air-conditioned, providing a comfortable temperature throughout the journey.
- Lockable Doors: Many AC 2 Tier coaches have lockable doors for privacy and security.
- Reading Lights: Individual reading lights are provided for passengers.
- Charging Points: Charging points are typically available near the berths for charging electronic devices.
- Bedside Tray: Passengers often have access to a fold-down tray beside their berth.
- Cleanliness: AC 2 Tier coaches are generally well-maintained and cleaned regularly.
- Pantry Car: Some trains with AC 2 Tier coaches have pantry cars that provide onboard catering services, offering a variety of meals and snacks.
- Reservation: Like other classes in Indian Railways, AC 2 Tier travel requires a reservation, and passengers are assigned specific berths at the time of booking.
AC 2 Tier is a popular choice for travelers who seek a balance between comfort and affordability. It is more comfortable and private than Sleeper Class (SL) and AC 3 Tier (3AC) but is usually less expensive than First AC (1AC) and Executive Class (EC), which offer even higher levels of luxury and privacy.
Keep in mind that the availability of AC 2 Tier coaches can vary by train and route, so it’s advisable to check the class options when booking your train tickets.